CFP: Evental Aesthetics Journal Vol.3 No.1 2014 - Fantasy
Call for Papers Date:
Evental Aesthetics, Vol. 3 No. 1
Deadline: 31 March, 2014
The Editors of Evental Aesthetics, an independent, peer-reviewed, online journal dedicated to philosophical and aesthetic intersections, are pleased to invite submissions for our forthcoming issue.
We welcome both full-length articles (4,000-10,000 words, excluding endnotes) and Collisions (1,000-2,500 words). Collisions are brief (but well-written and thoughtful) responses to aesthetic experiences that raise philosophical questions for discussion, but that do not necessarily enact the discussion in full. More information on Collisions is available at
This issue will have two parts, one dedicated to a specific theme, and the other (“unthemed”) devoted to aesthetic, philosophical questions of any kind. The Editors therefore seek submissions in two categories.
1. Aesthetics and philosophy (“unthemed”): This section will be devoted to philosophical matters pertaining to any aesthetic practice or experience, including but not limited to art and everyday aesthetics.
2. Fantasy: The themed section of this issue will focus on aesthetic matters concerning fantasy. Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:
• Fantasy fiction, speculative fiction, magical realism
• Fantasy as a musical genre
• Mythical and fantastic characters, beasts, and monsters
• “The fantastic” and “the monstrous” as aesthetic and/or critical categories
• Hegelian Phantasie
• Sartre on imagination
• Ideological fantasies
• Fantasy and imagination as cognitive faculties
• Fantasy’s place in critique
• Dreams: their aesthetic representation (e.g. in Berlioz’s Symphonie Fantastique)
Both categories may be freely interpreted, however all submissions must address philosophical matters.
Please send your submissions electronically in MS Word format (doc or docx), double-spaced in a legible font, in accordance with The Chicago Manual of Style (endnotes). Be sure to accompany your submission with an abstract (max. 250 words), a bibliography, and at least 5 keywords that may be used as search terms. Articles must be in English, but we welcome either American or British spelling provided the submission remains consistent throughout. Please note that all submissions must be formatted for blind review. We do not accept material that is under review, has been accepted for publication, or has been published elsewhere.
Before submitting, please review our submission requirements, review procedures, and copyright policy at
Email your submission to eventalaesthetics – at – gmail – dot – com, by 31 March, 2014. Please include the word “submission” in the subject line of your email, to make sure that it gets through our spam filters.
For announcements of forthcoming issues and future calls for authors, sign up for our e-mail list at eventalaesthetics.net.
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)