**** 2nd Annual University of Tokyo-GSII Graduate Student Conference ****
Organizer: ITASIA Student Body Government, Graduate School of Interdisciplinary Information Studies (GSII), The University of Tokyo
Date: Friday, November 22, 2013, 9:00-19:00
Location: The University of Tokyo, Hongo Campus, The Institute for Advanced Studies on Asia (IASA), 3F Main Conference Room
FIRST PANEL: 9:00-11:00
Print and Visual Media and Social/Political Transformations in Asia
Chair and Discussant: Assistant Professor Sandra Fahy, Sophia University
1. Kondo Kazuto (GSII Masterís student), "About the Relationship Between the Cinema and Publications During Prewar Era in Japan"
2. Pan Mengfei (GSII Masterís student), "Comic Pamphlets as Museum Marketing Strategy: A Case Study of Nya-eyes of The Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography"
3. Brian M. White (University of Chicago, PhD student), "Scope of the Scopic: Media and the Senses in Early 20th Century Japan"
4. Susan Taylor (GSII, PhD student), "The (Networked) Geography of Knowledge and the Transformation of the Used Book Retail in Jimbocho, Tokyo: An Ethnographic Study"
SECOND PANEL: 11:00-13:00
Nationalism & Media 1: Nationalism in Film and TV
Chair and Discussant: Professor Nicola Liscutin, Professor, Center for the Development of Global Leadership Education, University of Tokyo
1. Amanda Weiss (GSII PhD candidate), "Masculinity and Nationalism in Contemporary Chinese and Japanese Combat Films"
2. Hideaki Matsuyama (GSII, PhD student), "Nationalism of Synchronism: The Characteristics of Japanese Television in the 1950s-1960s"
3. Wang Le (GSII Masterís student), "The Construction of Japanese Imperialism Ideology in Colonial Documentary Films in Manchukuo"
Title: "The Asianization of Sociology? Trends in Interdisciplinary Studies in the Context of Asia"
Speaker: Professor Shigeto Sonoda, University of Tokyo
THIRD PANEL: 15:00-17:00
Nationalism & Media 2: East Asian Representations of Nation in Media
Chair: Professor Yasuhiro Matsuda, University of Tokyo
Discussant: Professor David Slater, Sophia University
1. Yezi Yeo (GSII, PhD student), "The Good, the Bad, and the Forgiven: The Media Spectacle of South Korean Male Celebrities' Compulsory Military Service"
2. Yunuen Ysela Mandujano Salazar (Autonomous University of Ciudad Juarez, PhD candidate), "Media Idols and National 'Representation': Strengthening the National Identity in Contemporary Japan"
3. Liang Ye Tan (Soka University, Masterís student), "Media Discourse on Nuclear Power in Japan in Late 1990s and Early 2000s: A Constructionist Approach"
4. Fei Chen (GSII, PhD student), "Death and Identity: Construction of Memory in Yushukan War Memorial Museum"
FOURTH PANEL: 17:00-19:00
Gender and Identity in Japanese Popular and Media Culture
Chair: Associate Professor Jason Karlin, University of Tokyo
Discussant: Associate Professor James Welker, Kanagawa University
1. Tomomi Matsuhashi (GSII PhD student), "Understanding Negative Media Effects in 2013 Cell-phone Novels Girls Community"
2. Kiyohara Yuu (GSII PhD student), "On the Paradoxical Function of the Intimate Public Sphere: A Case Study of the Kusanomi Kai (1955-1958)"
3. Mizhelle D. Agcaoili (GSII MA student), "The Bitch with a Thousand Faces: The Reproduction of the Bad Woman in 'Onna ga Kirai na Onna'"
4. Alexandra Hambleton (GSII PhD candidate), "Silk and Spice: Female Friendly Pornography in Contemporary Japan"
Susan Paige Taylor
Information, Technology and Society in Asia
The Graduate School of Interdisciplinary Studies
The University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033, Japan
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)