Although actively engaged in the digitalization of the Medici Granducal Archive at the Archivio di Stato di Firenze, MAP remains a strong advocate of giving scholars direct access to original documents. Thanks to the generous support of Samuel H. Kress Foundation, MAP is offering fellowships for graduate students to join MAP in Florence, Italy, to undertake specialized archival research on-site at the Archivio di Stato, utilizing the collection of the Medici Granducal Archive. The Samuel H. Kress Graduate Art History Fellowships will provide graduate students from diverse disciplines with the opportunity to examine and study original source materials, while receiving scholarly guidance from MAP Staff.
There are two Samuel H. Kress Graduate Art History Fellowships available. A Summer 2013 Fellowship, covering a period of two-and-a-half months, is for $5,000 (plus $500 for travel expenses). The Summer 2013 Fellowship must take place within the period extending from May 1 to July 15 2013.
A Fall Semester 2013 Fellowship, covering a period of three-and-a-half months, is for $8,500 (plus $500 for travel expenses). The Fall Semester 2013 Fellowship must take place within the period from September 1 to December 15, 2013.
Candidates must be enrolled in graduate programs at United States universities, and working on dissertation topics that treat any aspect of Italian Renaissance or Baroque art history; Tuscan art history topics will be given preference.
If the timing is feasible, Fellows will take part free of charge in our on¬line paleography course before arriving in Florence. Further training in reading documents and using archival sources will be available through our archival studies seminar at Santa Maria Novella in June of 2013, as well as through the daily contact with MAP Staff during the course of the Fellows’ tenure. Fellows will be also encouraged to participate in a variety of MAP initiatives, including its upcoming conferences.
Send via email a complete application in English, with all materials collected in a single pdf file, to Elena Brizio (email@example.com). The deadline for application is 30 March 2013. A complete application consists of:
1) A cover letter stating which Fellowship, either the “Spring” OR “Semester,” is sought and what period the candidate is available to fulfill the relevant Fellowship in Florence.
2) A copy of the candidate’s dissertation proposal (or a final draft of it), and the proposal defense date.
3) A short essay (2 pages max.) on how the candidate’s topic will benefit from archival research.
4) A complete and up-to-date curriculum vitae.
5) The name and email contact details of a scholar in the field, preferably the candidate’s supervisor, who can comment on the applicant’s qualifications and the merits of the research proposal (please do not include letters of recommendation with the application). Please do not include supplementary material (publications, papers, syllabi, etc.).
For further information, contact Elena Brizio: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)