Celebrating Popular/American Culture(s) in a Global Context
February 13-16, 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hyatt Regency Hotel
& Conference Center
Proposals due November 16, 2012
Call for Papers: American History and Culture Area
Southwest/Texas Popular Culture and American Culture Association
34th Annual Conference February 13-16, 2013
Hyatt Regency Hotel & Conference Center
in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Proposal submission deadline: November 16, 2012
Proposals are now being accepted until November 16, 2012 for the American History and Culture Area at the 2013 SW/TX PCA/ACA Conference. We invite you to submit presentations about American history and culture, ranging from critical essays to analyses employing recognized research methodologies. Paper presentations should be 15 to 20 minutes. Proposals with a global scope are especially welcomed. All proposals for the “American History and Culture” area must have a historical focus and should emphasize culture.
Panels are still forming for all of the conference’s individual subject areas, including the “American History and Culture” area.
Below are some suggestions for presentation/panel topics related to the area of “American History and Culture.”
Topics not mentioned here are also welcome for consideration.
* Specific eras / periods in American history
* Regional and local history (especially in the Southwest)
* Public history, collective memory, representation, nostalgia, memorials / monuments
* Historic preservation and historical sites
* Consumer culture and advertising
* Leisure, public amusements, travel, and tourism
* Urban studies, architecture, city planning, cultural geography, cultural landscapes
* Local image/identity creation, boosterism, and the marketing of place
* Youth culture/subcultures, children’s culture, senior culture, etc.
* Visual culture, art, and design
For individual presentations, submit a proposal with the following items:
• maximum 250-word abstract, including paper/presentation title;
• current curriculum vitae;
• working bibliography for your paper; and
• contact information (name and email).
All presenters must enter their own information and proposals into the conference database.
Proposals for panels of 3-4 presenters are also welcome. To propose a panel, submit the following:
• panel title;
• name and email address for the panel chair;
• titles and abstracts of each paper; and
• name and email address for each presenter.
Submit all proposals to http://conference2013.swtxpca.org.
Please see http://www.swtxpca.org/documents/48.html for a list of graduate student awards and requirements.
Dr. Laura Mohsene
American History and Culture
Additional conference information is available at: http://swtxpca.org/
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)