PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION SECTION NEWSLETTER
The Paul A. Volcker Endowment for Public Service
Research and Education
Junior Scholar Research Grant Program
2005 Call for Proposals
It's not too early to begin thinking about getting a proposal together for the 2005 award cycle.
Note: Applications accepted no earlier than February 15th.
Scope of the Grant Award
for Public Administration of the American Political Science Association (APSA)
invites applications and research proposals from junior scholars researching public
administration issues affecting governance in the
Proposals must address all items under the scope of the award and must be done in triplicate or sent electronically. Proposals are limited to five (5) single-spaced pages and must:
· State the purpose of the project
· State how the project contributes to scholarship within public administration and its applicability for practice and theory development
· State how the project relates to previous research and theoretical developments
· Specify research design
· Provide an itemized budget and budget justification
· Specify any additional financial support that the applicant is already receiving or anticipates receiving
In addition, each proposal also must include (in excess of the five-page written proposal):
· A cover letter summarizing project title, qualifications for successfully completing the project, and professional status (doctoral student working on dissertation or untenured assistant professor)
· An abstract of the proposal (maximum 150 words)
· A letter attesting to the quality of the research project (typically from a doctoral student's dissertation advisor or a junior faculty member's department chair
· A curriculum vitae (no more than three pages)
Eligibility is limited to doctoral students who have successfully defended their dissertation prospectus and tenure-track assistant professors. Applicants must be APSA members at the time of application. Membership in the Section for Public Administration is not required, but can be one of a variety of factors that the Volcker Awards Committee considers in making awards.
Funding Process and Purposes
Grants will be awarded annually by a three-person Volcker Awards Committee. The number, size of grants, and allocation of grants (to doctoral students and tenure-track assistant professors) awarded annually will be up to the Volcker Awards Committee. Initially, grants are expected to range between $2,000 and $3,000. Funds may be used for such research activities as: travel to archives; travel to conduct interviews; administration and coding of survey instruments; research assistance; and purchase of datasets. This list is merely illustrative, but specifically excluded from funding are: travel to professional meetings; secretarial costs except for preparation of the final manuscripts for publication; and salary support.
Proposals sent electronically should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Otherwise, three (3) hard copies of the total proposal package should be submitted to:
Paul A. Volcker Endowment for Public Administration Research and Education
Junior Scholar Research Grant Program
c/o American Political Science Association
Donald Moynihan is 2004 Paul A. Volcker Junior Scholar Research Grant Award Winner
This newsletter is being provided as a service to members of the Public Administration Section of the American Political Science Association. The editor is solely responsible for its content. Please send notices, suggestions, and corrections to newsletter editor , Domonic Bearfield, Dbearfield@aol.com.
In order to notified of the PA Section Electronic Newsletter, your current and correct e-mail address must be on the official section listserv. To subscribe to that listserv, send an email to or click on email@example.com and include the following IN THE BODY of the message:
SUBSCRIBE H-PUBADMIN your name
Caution: Make certain you are subscribing from the email server where you want to receive postings. The system automatically registers that server.
If you have any questions, or in the highly unlikely event that you wish to unsubscribe, contact Mel Dubnick at firstname.lastname@example.org