Book Publication: Muhammad in History, Though and Culture; An Encyclopedia of the Prophet of God.
I am writing to inform you about the publication of the first encyclopaedia dedicated to the study of the Prophet Muhammad. The beautifully bound two volume hard back is called 'Muhammad in History, Though and Culture; An Encyclopedia of the Prophet of God' (ABC-CLIO, May 2014).
This in-depth examination of the life, history, and influence of the Prophet Muhammad, as discussed by leading specialists, provides a wide-ranging study of the prophet's legacy unlike any other work to date. The encyclopaedia is targeted at undergraduate students and advanced non-specialists.
Within this work's more than 200 A–Z entries, internationally recognized scholars summarize the views surrounding Muhammad from the earliest editors of the Qu'ran to contemporary Muslim theologians. This detailed resource explores the traditions, ceremonies, and beliefs of Islam as they have spread worldwide, as well as examining Muhammad's role in other religious traditions and in the secular world.
A few of the encyclopaedia's many interesting entries are listed below:
- Manuscripts about the Prophet Muhammad by Prof. Emeritus J. J. Witkam
- South Asian Devotional Literature by Professor Ali Asani
- Depicting the Prophet by Professor Christiane Gruber
- An in-depth History of the Sira Literature by Professor Maher Jarrar
- Byzantine Literature by Prof. Emerita Elizabeth Jeffreys
- Architecture by Professor Marcus Milwright
- A History of Ottoman Sira Literature by Gottfried Hagen
- Modernism by Professor Omid Safi
- Philosophy by Professor Peter Adamson
- Philisophical Mysticism by Prof. Emeritus Binyamin Abrahamov
- Medieval Christian-Muslim Relations by Professor David Thomas
- Shiism by Professors Farhad Daftary and Azim Nanji
- Inshad by Jean-Jacques Thibon
I would be grateful if you could kindly circulate this e-mail amongst your colleagues, librarians and students in case it is of interest to them. Given the expansive and unique nature of the volume, it would be an ideal addition to syllabi dealing with Islamic history, law, mysticism, and theology. Please feel free to contact me should you require any further information about the volume (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Co-editor; Muhammad in History, Though and Culture; An Encyclopedia of the Prophet of God'
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)