In our upcoming issues 7 and 8, Seismopolite Journal of Art and Politics will be dedicated to the question of how photography, cinema, theatre and performance art can promote freedom of expression in various contexts worldwide.
Contributors from diverse disciplinary backgrounds are invited to submit articles, reviews or interviews that address this theme through a high variety of possible angles.
Topics may include (but are not restricted to):
- Strategies in photography, film, theatre and performance art to respond to censorship in countries and contexts worldwide.
- The capability of photography, cinema, theatre and performance art to envision new prospects in political contexts where the freedom of expression/ Human Rights are violated, or in other precarious socio-political contexts.
- Minority perspectives in photography, cinema, theatre and performance art.
- Discourses of decolonization in photography, cinema, theatre and performance art; their potential to challenge and rewrite geopolitical, economic, cultural or historical master narratives, as well as to promote understanding of, and cooperation between people whose lives, voices and histories are suppressed/ alienated by such narratives.
- The conditions of artists to reflect and influence their local political situation in contexts worldwide.
- Photography, cinema, theatre and performance art as means of political criticism, protest and reconciliation.
- The democratic role of photography, film, theatre and performance art in the era of globalization.
We accept submissions continuously, but to make sure you are considered for the upcoming issues, please send your proposal/ draft, CV and samples of earlier work to firstname.lastname@example.org within May 25, 2014.
Completed work will be due June 11, 2014. All articles will be translated into Norwegian and published in a bilingual version.
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)