In order to solemnize the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War, the Institute of Comparative Literature of the Faculty of Arts of University of Porto will associate itself with government and city agencies such as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Porto City Hall that will carry a set of commemorative activities of the ephemeris. The aim of this Interdisciplinary Colloquium is to further discussion on the participation of Portugal in the Great War, through joint and coordinated reflection, beyond issues strictly related to historical-political matters, focusing on the various artistic fields, with special emphasis on the field of Literature. Thus, the following themes will be considered:
1. literary representations of World War I in Western Literature;
2. Interartistic expressions of the First World War (theater, music, cinema, photography, visual arts);
3. artistic and literary migrations between 1914-1918;
4. questioning - in Literature and other arts - concepts and values related to War;
5. theoretical and critical questioning of the warmongering role of Art and Literature.
Paper proposals should be submitted by April 30, 2014 to the address firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following elements:
- name - institution - contact details - title - abstract (150-300 words).
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)