Far West Popular Culture Association 26th Annual Conference
Palace Station Hotel
Las Vegas, Nevada
Proposals are welcome from graduate students, individuals, and established scholars for presentations that apply critical theory to graphic novels and current comic book runs. Topic include (but are not limited to) the following:
* Themes of magic and the occult as a reflection of characters or society
* Reflections of modern politics and New Historicism
* Interpretations of death and dying
* the new non-super hero
* Traditional pulp themes of fantasy in silver/bronze/digital age
* Re-occurring themes of loss and losing
* Themes of restlessness and wandering
Submissions should not only consider analyzing the major labels (i.e., Marvel/ DC) but also independent and smaller labels such as Devil's, IDW, BOOM, Dynamite, etc..
Presentations should last 15 minutes with time for Q&A at the end of the session.
Please send a 50-100 word abstract, along with your name and institution, to email@example.com.
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)