The organizers are pleased to announce the International Conference on
"Soviet Film Studios at War, 1939-1949" which will take place in Moscow between June 12th and 13th 2014.
The conference takes stock of the first results of the project CINESOV financed by the Agence Nationale de la Recherche (France). The project explores Soviet cinema not only as art but also as social sphere, production process, industrial establishment, business and as a problem of marketing and consuming images between 1939 and 1949. The main focus of the conference is on the first stage of filmmaking, the production process, and more precisely on the functioning of the studios in the USSR and the territories it controlled in the immediate prewar and postwar years. The aim of the conference is to study ways the Soviet structures of film production dealt with thee requirements and constraints of the war.
The main questions are:
- methods, sources, the results of previous research: how to seize the singularities of the studios in the context of the war, which are their common features?
- institutional issues: the Sovietization of the studios in the territories annexed on the eve of the war; changes in legal statuses, organization and internal structures; censorship; shifts in the relationships between center and periphery; evacuation and return; the fate of studios in territories under nazi occupation; the Sovietization of nazified studios and the purge of col-laborators.
- economic and financial issues: the economic efficiency of the studios and their evaluation by moviemakers and decision makers; how we can draw the balance sheet today? what is the impact of the evacuation of the industry at large on the film industry and the production tar-gets of the studios? how studios manage the scarcity of financial resources? how decides the priorities?
- technological issues: which technologies are employed? what sort of technological changes are helped by the challenges of wartime cinema and the exchanges and seizures of material? how many equipments are at the disposal of the moviemakers? how is allocated the equipment acquired through the Lend-Lease operations and through the seizures? how technologies func-tion at the studios transferred to Central Asia?
- international issues: how to evaluate the comparison [?], the imitation, the collaboration and competition with allied and enemy industries? what is the production of the enemy in occupied Soviet territories, how it is organized? how knowhow is transferred in Soviet-occupied territories? how the Soviets establish control?
- human resources: how is personnel allocated in the wake of the evacuation and the reor-ganization? who are the new managers of the studios? how the mobilization takes place, what role women play in it? how is organized the training of the newly recruited personnel? how are decided the salaries and other forms of payment? how daily life looks like in the evacua-tion, during the siege of Leningrad and other cities and after the return?
The conference is open to anyone doing research related to the main themes. The con-tributions must be unpublished and founded on original sources.
The conference languages are Russian, English and French.
The deadline for sending the proposals is December 15, 2013. Authors of the selected projects will be informed in late January 2014.
The proposals must be in Russian, English or French. They must include
1./ the name, the home institution and the position of the applicant with his/her electronic ad-dress
2./ a short presentation of the applicant's researches with emphasis of their relevance to the themes of the conference
3./ a vita
4./ a résumé of maximum 500 words of the proposed paper.
Centre franco-russe de Recherches en Sciences Humaines et Sociales de Moscou
Nakhimovsky Prospekt, 51/21, INION, Moscou, 117418
Tel. & Fax : (007 499) 128 88 01 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)