Following successful events in the last academic year at Northumbria and Teesside University, History Lab North East is pleased to announce the call for papers for our upcoming workshop to be held at Newcastle University on November 29th 2013. We are seeking papers from postgraduate students based in History, Classics, and Archaeology on the theme of ‘Sources and Evidence’. Papers should provide a brief outline of research before discussing their particular approach to sources. Themes for these papers could include, but are not limited to:
• Difficulties with source material and how these complications can be overcome (e.g. copyright, language, accessibility, and readability issues).
• Dealing with multi-lingual source material.
• The use of material culture.
• Accessing sources.
• Using controversial sources and what implications this may have for your research. (e.g. sources including sensitive material, human remains, sources from the recent past).
• Combining evidence from different mediums and the positives and negatives of such an approach (e.g. oral history, correspondence, film).
• Interdisciplinary sources (e.g. the use of anthropology, combining archaeological and historical evidence).
• Using sources in a digital age.
• The use of sources in public engagement.
Each paper should be 15-20 minutes long, with an expected ten minutes for post-paper discussion. Please send your abstracts of 200-300 words to firstname.lastname@example.org by 21 October 2013.
This workshop will also incorporate a training event on the same theme which will be announced with the finalised programme, and a social event after the workshop.
History Lab North East aims to bring together postgraduates in the North East, offering them a chance to present their research in a friendly environment, gain insightful feedback on this research, and to network and socialise with their peers.
For more information on History Lab North East please see our blog: http://historylabne.blogspot.co.uk/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/HistoryLabNE or Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HistoryLabNorthEast
School of History, Classics and Archaeology
Newcastle upon Tyne
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)