Call for Volumes for research monograph series, War, Culture and Society
Call for Volumes for research monograph series: War, Culture and Society (Bloomsbury). Series Editor: Stephen McVeigh.
We are seeking volume proposals for the series’ second wave of interdisciplinary research monographs which address the interrelated issues of war, culture and society and provide parallel and complementary military historical and socio-cultural investigations of 20th and 21st century war and conflict.
The series provides a complementary approach to the study of war and its impacts. Building on a traditional military-historical foundation, the series employs rigorous multi- and -interdisciplinarity and an international scope. The series emphasizes the connections between military history, political science, moral and ethical debates, and cultural production as interrelated forces that have reflected and shaped human experiences, and the consequent representations and memories of war.
The series has a number of connected aims:
1. To extend the scope of traditional military historical approaches by emphasising the importance of the socio-cultural.
2. To relate political, social, cultural and military history with the analysis of literary, visual and filmic texts and thus establish a truly multi-disciplinary arena for the analysis of war.
3. To analyse issues of identity construction and power relations in war and conflict along axes of history, class, race, gender, religion and generational difference.
4. To provide the space for comparisons of differing national experiences of war to highlight the complexities of regional, national and global histories and to avoid the tendency to a ‘western’ bias.
5. To diminish the traditional boundaries between academic disciplines analysing war and provide a space to fully integrate traditional military historical approaches with modern conceptual and theoretical perspectives.
Abstracts of 500 words, along with a brief CV or publication list, should be sent to the series editor at email@example.com. For informal enquiries, please contact Stephen McVeigh at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01792602897. The deadline for submission of abstracts is February 1st 2014.
Dr. Stephen McVeigh - Associate Professor
Programme Director War & Society
Department of Political and Cultural Studies
James Callaghan Building
Tel: 01792 602897
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)