This panel invites contributions that explore how transgressive female figures — more often than not represent “evil”—perform their roles and reveal alternative subjectivities within the conventions of dramatic/aural/civic/written performances and communities.
Possible topics to be explored:
• Actual staging
• The socio-professional status of these performers in “real” life
• Early-modern performance theory
• Incunabula, manuscripts, archival evidence of performance texts (librettos, plays, ballet) engaging with representation of “evil” women
• Possibilities of re-evaluating these plays through the lens of contemporary performance theory, gender studies
• The relation between music and lyrics and the representation of the female protagonists in words and sound
Please send a 250-word abstract, keywords and a short bio (300 words) to Andreea Marculescu (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Valentina Denzel (email@example.com) by May 20.
Dr. Andreea Marculescu
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)