I am looking for other panelists who would be interested in proposing a panel for OAH 2014 on the representation of immigrant and ethnic experience in public history.
My own paper will focus on attempts by the Chinatown community in Philadelphia to preserve and represent their history in the last ten years. In particular, I am interested in the dilemmas surrounding the desire to preserve a decaying past landscape while addressing competing needs for change and economic development in a community that continues to serve as a destination for new immigrants, and the tensions between a complicated collective history of community activism and the often time-less and essentializing representations of ethnic culture and heritage in local tourism.
Topics might include:
• Representation of immigrants at historic sites
• Ethnic specific museums and sites
• Challenges or case studies concerning the inclusion of immigrants and ethnic communities in public history institutions
• Grass roots preservation or interpretation efforts in immigrant/ethnic communities
• Meta narratives of immigrants in popular history and culture
• Preservation challenges in ethnic neighborhoods
• Creative programmatic approaches to immigrant/ethnic history
• Tensions between history and heritage in immigrant/ethnic representation
• Connections between historical representation and policy in the public sphere
Feel free to suggest something!
If you are interested, please contact me with a description of your paper at email@example.com by February 25, 2013.
Department of History
Georgia State University
34 Peachtree Street
Atlanta, GA 30303 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)