This is a call for proposals for Joss In June, a one-day multidisciplinary conference focusing on the works of Joss Whedon, including: Dollhouse, Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Serenity, comics (Buffy Seasons 8 & 9, Astonishing X-Men, Runaways, Fray, Sugarshock), as well as Cabin in the Woods, The Avengers, and Much Ado about Nothing.
We especially encourage presentations on:
- Recent film work such as Cabin in the Woods, The Avengers, & Much Ado
- Socioeconomic class
- Gender & sexuality
- Race & ethnicity
- Teaching Joss Whedon’s work
- Particular directors and/or writers such as Jane Espenson, David Greenwalt, Tim Minear, - - - Marti Noxon, etc.
- Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog
- Genre transformations: Buffy and Angel’s continuations and transformations into comics or - Firefly’s transformation into Serenity, etc.
- Whedon’s work on comics such as Astonishing X-Men, Runaways, Fray
- The construction of place and space
- Music in Whedon’s works
However, all Whedonverse topics will be considered. Please be sure to check out the essays published in Slayage: The Journal of the Whedon Studies Assoc. (located at http://slayageonline. com/) as well as the multiple publications on Whedon’s work prior to submitting. Familiarity with the field is expected.
Deadline for proposal submissions: January 1, 2013. Earlier proposals are welcomed and will be responded to with all due haste. The registration deadline is April 1, 2013. All participants must register by that date and pay the $40 conference fee or they will not be permitted to present or appear in the program. And why not bring a friend – propose an entire panel!
Please send (preferably electronic) queries, 250 word paper proposals and 500 word panel proposals to BOTH Dale Guffey (email@example.com) AND Ensley F. Guffey (firstname.lastname@example.org). Papers will be limited to a maximum presentation time of 20 minutes.
Proposals should include:
- Full contact info (name, institutional affiliation [if any], snail mail address, phone and fax numbers, and e-mail) for all participants
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)