Based on the transformation processes underway in the region of North Africa/Middle East,†the Goethe-Institut aims to encourage intercultural dialogue and cultural exchange in the scope of the transformational partnership and lastingly reinforce relations between Germany and Egypt, Tunisia, and Morocco.
The Goethe-Institut, the Kulturwissenschaftliche Institut Essen and the Zentrum fŁr Mittelmeerstudien are looking for young academics from the countries of Egypt, Germany, Morocco, and Tunisia for the exchange project "Scholars in Residence".
About the program:
Scholars in Residence is a residency program for young academic researchers that promotes the exchange of scholarly research and provides guest residencies for researchers in the humanities, cultural studies and social sciences to visit their colleagues in Germany and abroad. Young scholars are given the opportunity to forge intensive relationships with other researchers, to pursue joint projects and to develop long-term bilateral collaborations within an international context. The program partners a foreign scholar and German scholar who focus on projects that bear upon the programís annual research themes. Within the focal subject matter, one academic each from the countries of Egypt, Morocco, or Tunisia and one German academic will form a duo team.
The Scholars in Residence research themes for 2012/2013 are:
- Climate and Culture
- Migration and Integration
- Culture and Conflict / Cultural Memory
- Science, Culture and Digital Media / Intellectual Property
- (City) Culture and Public Space
Residency in the host country lasts between six and eight weeks. The scholar from Egypt, Morocco or Tunisia will travel to Germany as of October 15, 2012, the German scholar will travel to his/her partnerís country as of January 1, 2013.
The call for applications addresses young academics from the humanities, the cultural, and the social sciences. You can apply individually or already submit a partner application (German applicant and overseas applicant).
- PhD students and Postdocs
- Fluency in English (German is not required for participation)
Required documents in English or German:
- Curriculum Vitae and list of publications
- Passport photograph
- Three-page abstract of
* your research project related to one of the programís research themes
* the relevance of your research project to the public
* your openness to intercultural dialogue, international research exchange and interest in interdisciplinary issues
- Brief letter explaining your motivation for a guest residency and your interest in the academic sphere in the host country as well as potential requests for contacts with young academics in the host country.
Please apply only using our online application form at:
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)