Seeking Biographical Articles on German-American Entrepreneurship From 1720-1840
Dear H-Net subscribers,
I’m writing on behalf of the German Historical Institute (GHI) in Washington, DC. The Institute is presently seeking contributors for Volume One of “Immigrant Entrepreneurship: German-American Business Biographies, 1720 to the Present.” The project seeks to explore the contributions that first- and second-generation German immigrants have made to business and entrepreneurship in America. The project will feature 250 biographies of prominent entrepreneurs of German descent. For a brief overview, please follow this link: http://www.ghi-dc.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=964&Itemid=856
Volume One covers the years 1720-1840. Entrepreneurs that we would like to feature include the following:
• Philip Best (1814-1869), brewer, Empire Brewing Company
• Jacob Dietrick (1778-1838), newspaper publisher, Der Ohio Adler
• Joseph Donath (1750-1829), glassmaker, Joseph Donath and Company
• Bernard (1738-1801) and Michael (1740-1811) Gratz, finance, B & M Gratz
• William (1804-1874) and Frederick (1807-1891) Havemeyer, sugar refining, W.F. & F.C. Havemeyer
• Christopher Ludwig (1720-1801), baker
• Johann Sauer (1693-1758), publishing, Christopher Sauer & Son
• Anna Ottendorfer (1815-1884), publishing, New York Staats - Zeitung
For a full list of volume candidates, please contact me by email.
We are interested in articles of no more than 8,000 words and offer an honorarium of $400 per article. Additionally, we hope to have opportunities for some of the authors to present their research at project-related events and conferences. If you or anyone you know may be interested in authoring an entry, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Thank you very much for your time and assistance.
Benjamin Schwantes, Ph.D.
German Historical Institute
1607 New Hampshire Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20009
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)