This new programme in the Department of Development Studies at SOAS offers students the opportunity to study labour conditions and relations, social movements of labour and their contributions to development processes and changes in the Global South.
It is the first MSc programme of its kind in the UK dedicated to Labour, Social Movements and Development. Students will have the opportunity to experience policy-making and labour campaigns in practice. They will participate in our interactive sessions to devise policies; and design and implement regional, national and international labour campaigns.
The MSc draws on the expertise of staff in the Department of Development Studies, specialising in Latin America, Africa and Asia. It benefits from our contacts within the field, including with NGOs and international organisations.
The MSc degree will focus on:
• Labour process and organisations in the South
• A comparative history of labour and social movements in countries such as China, Korea, India, South Africa, Brazil and the Middle East
• The impact of neoliberalism and globalisation on workers in the South
• Informalisation of labour, casualisation and precarious work
• Feminisation of labour
• Forced labour and child labour
• Rural labour, migrant labour and labour in Export Processing Zones
• Household and reproductive labour
• The International Labour Organisation, international labour standards and decent work
• Corporate Social Responsibility Initiatives, codes of conduct and anti-sweatshop campaigning
• Theories and practices of local, national and international labour campaigns
For further information please visit the following link:
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)