FESTSCHRIFT IN HONOUR OF PROFESSOR VICTOR OLUSEGUN AWONUSI
Prof. Segun Awonusi, will be 60 in March 2012. The phonetician/phonologist-cum-sociolinguist or perhaps more appropriately described as a sociophonologist (a product of the London School under the joint supervision of Professors A.C. Gimson and John Wells) has spent most of his academic career at the University of Lagos, Nigeria, where he occupies a Chair of English Language. He also has wide experience in administration as he was once the Ogun State Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology and currently the Vice Chancellor, Tai Solarin University of Education, Ijagun, Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State.
Friends, associates and colleagues think the best way of recognizing his contribution to knowledge is by producing a book entitled: LANGUAGE IN SOCIETAL TRANSFORMATION: PERSPECTIVES FROM NIGERIA which will be presented to the public.
The following are the sub-themes of the publication:
• Linguistic Theories and Social Transformation
• Phonetics and Phonology in Educational Development
• The Sociolinguistics of Transformation
• The English Language in Global and Nigerian Settings
• The Morpho-Syntactics of Language Development in Nigeria
• English Language and Nigerian Education
• Literature as a weapon of Good Governance and Poverty Alleviation
• Literature and the Nigerian Reading Culture
• Education and the Challenges of Poor Performance in key subjects of the Nigerian Curriculum
• Literacy and Education
• Governance and Management Structures in relation to Educational Development
Contributions should be no longer than 20 pages, in 12-point Times New Roman font, typed double-spaced and should specify the preferred sub-theme. References must conform to the MLA and APA systems for Literature and Language respectively. An abstract of about 250 words and a five-line paragraph containing autobiographical information should be included.
Please contact any of the following persons for more information: Dr. Joseph Osoba: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; Dr. Feyi Ademola-Adeoye: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; Dr. Kofo Adedeji: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com. The deadline for submission of completed articles is 31st March, 2012.
Dr. Kofoworola Adedeji
Secretary, UNILAG Local Organizing Committee
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)