The academic journal Meridian critic (The Annals of Stefan cel Mare University of Suceava, Literature Series) is pleased to join in the worldwide commemoration of Charles Dickens bicentenary and to celebrate his life and work in a special issue dedicated to one of the greatest British writers.
Dickens’s appeal has crossed nations, ages, and generations while his unique work escapes genre confines, inhabiting the unperturbed position of the hiatus within the high/low cultural divide. Even so, is his work still apt to elicit aesthetic emotion and moral estimation in our age of globalization, postmodernity, and consumerism? Is he still our mutual friend?
Article proposals on these questions or any other aspect of Dickens’s life and work are invited. Possible topics could include, but are not limited to, the discussion of the following aspects:
• The reception of Dickens in Europe and other parts of the world;
• Author, authorship, and authority (Dickens and the idea of author in the Victorian critical discourse, celebrity in the Victorian Age, portraits and biographies of the author; memorabilia, etc.);
• Monstrous imagination: The (Gothic) Grotesque in Dickens’s Work;
• Melodrama, Accident, and Coincidence;
• The Neo-Victorian and Postcolonial Dickens;
• Dickens and the city;
• The Afterlife of Dickens: Theater, Cinema, Cyberspace.
Deadline for submissions: 01 April 2012.
We welcome papers in English, German, French, and Romanian.
Abstracts (c. 200 words) and full papers (up to c. 7,000 words), together with a brief biographical sketch (c. 400 words), are to be sent to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)