African Studies Conference, Pavia
Pavia University, Faculty of Political Science
18-20 September 2012
The Conference addresses African studies conducted in all disciplines and specialized fields. Scholars and researchers are invited to present their contributions to the study of Africa in its historic and contemporary dimensions.
The participants in the African Studies Conference are invited to present papers on topics that are central to lively current debates taking place in several African countries, such as:
- how modern African societies deal with their own histories;
- identity, community membership, citizenship and connected rights;
- the form and substance of institutional and constitutional frameworks: political representation and participation, democratization, governance, decentralization, and the role of traditional institutions;
- the politics of space, borders, territory;
- economics and development policies; labor and social classes, and the dynamics of personal dependency;
- forms of land tenure and different conceptions of ownership;
- violence, wars, conflicts, peace restoration;
- the roles of diasporas, migrations, minorities, peripheral groups and communities;
- international and regional relations;
- the relationship between religion and politics;
- gender and generation issues;
- language and language politics;
- the educational systems and the role of intellectuals and the media;
- art expressions in their global dimension;
- cultural heritage issues;
- literature, philosophy, theology;
- poetics and politics of the cultured body in contemporary contexts: ornaments, cloths, fabrics;
- therapeutic and medical issues;
- environmental problems and the issue of biodiversity;
The Scientific Committee encourages in particular papers dealing with:
- overviews of current studies;
- historical and present relations between Italy and Africa.
Registrations to the Conference and proposals for panels or individual papers are to be sent to the following address:
The deadline is 15st March 2012.
Proposals for panels or individual papers should include: a) title; b) abstract (a maximum 1000 characters); c) a brief profile of the speaker (a maximum 300 characters).
Participation at the Conference as a presenter (panel or individual paper) is subject to payment of a registration fee of 30 euros in the case of graduate students and post-docs who are not enjoying a scholarship; 50 euros in the case of all other presenters. Registration fees for the ASAI (Associazione per gli Studi Africani in Italia) members are 25 and 45 euros respectively.
The fee will be reduced to 20 and 40 euros respectively for all those registering before 31st August 2012 and to 15 and 35 euros for ASAI members.
Payments to be made to the following bank account:
Account holder: Amministrazione Centrale dell'Università di Pavia
Bank: BANCA POPOLARE COMMERCIO E INDUSTRIA
Address: Strada Nuova, 65 – 27100 Pavia
Account details: IBAN IT32I0504811302000000046566
IT IS CRUCIALLY IMPORTANT YOU DETAIL “AFRICAN STUDIES CONFERENCE, PAVIA” ON THE ORDER FORM
The registration fee includes participation at the Conference as a presenter, two meals and the possibility to book accommodation at a discounted rate in student halls in Pavia.
The organization of the Conference will consider granting two nights free accommodation in student halls to a maximum of 50 presenters (panels or individual papers) who are graduate students or post- docs but not enjoying scholarships or research grants.
For further details about registration, accommodation in Pavia and transport please browse the link
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)