Conference will take place: May 31st- June 3rd, 2012,
at the History Department, University of Gdańsk, Poland
History Institute of the Slovak Academy of Sciences, Polish American Historical Association, City of Gdynia, Visegrad Fund.
PhDr. Slavomír Michalek, DrSc. (Institute of History, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava); Doc. PhDr. Francis D. Raska, PhD. (Department of American Studies, Charles University, Prague); Dr. Magdolna Barath (Historical Archives of the Hungarian State Security, Budapest)
We seek papers, reports, works-in progress on issues related to any of the following themes:
- Migration theories, patterns, typologies; emigration, re-emigration, secondary emigration;
- Historiography of East European transatlantic migrations;
- East-Central European emigration case-studies; individual and state organized emigration, institutions and groups assisting emigrants; travel conditions and assistance.
- East-Central European artistic, literary and cultural presence in the Americas;
- Cooperation among East European émigrés and its motivations (religious, political, economic, cultural etc.);
- Exiles, refugees and East European ethnic communities in the U.S. in a comparative perspective;
- Acculturation routes: special focus on Polish-Americans and Americans.
- Emigration as an act of political protest;
- Exile links to the home country
- Sending and receiving states' policies towards the East-Central European Diasporas;
- Transatlantic implications of East European forced migration cases
- Exit ports with a special attention to Gdynia, Poland
Please see the complete CFP at the University of Gdansk web page.
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)