Call for papers for publication "Comunità e territori nella Grande Guerra" (Communities and territories during the Great War)
Several Italian research centres (see list below)invite scholars to present paper proposals for a forthcoming publication, which is planned to be published in 2013 and will contain essays under the title “Comunità e territori nella Grande Guerra”(Communities and territories during the Great War).
This publication will feature studies in the local-related aspects of First World War. Material conditions, economic, statistic and demographic data and issues, impact of military rules, organisation and units (especially behind the front line), everyday life, administration policies for controlling the territory and the population, interrelations (and tensions) between urban spaces and their surroundings: these are some of the possible themes the publication wishes to cover.
The publication will have the goal of highlighting similarities and peculiarities among several case studies, with consideration for the several stages and developments of the mobilisation. The general inquiry also aims to prompt a collective analysis about the issue of the modernisation turn occurred during the conflict and its impact on several agents and levels of different societies and territories, and to offer a platform for different approaches to these themes.
Some of the possible topics for the contributions are, for instance:
1. Situations and elements which marked a rupture, a discontinuity or prompted a change; responses to these changes and turns by institutions, individuals, social groups, etc…with focus on both institutional/decision-makers responses and on influences or resistances among the population during the war emergencies;
2. Reconstruction and analysis of war experiences from the peculiar perspective of urban spaces, communities, agrarian territories far away from the front line, with a particular attention to the main events and to local interpretation of these events, to new ways of perceiving and evaluating these events, to routines, practices in everyday’s life (health care, food supply, diet, social assistance, production, work and professions, family life);
3. Processes concerning nation building and “Italianisation”, building or destroying solidarity, inclusion and exclusion; processes of political awareness and organisation by groups, especially concerning the expansion of rights; processes of “occupying” – also metaphorically- a territory with new parties, associations, organisations, popular movements.
To guarantee a broader analysis of the themes, including up to now neglected issues or realities, the committee will particularly welcome any contribution focusing on cities, communities and territories not only from Northern Italy but also from Central and Southern Italy, which were only geographically marginal towards fronts and consequences of the war. Similarly, contributions using less known or unexplored sources will be given priority.
To finalise your application, please send an academic curriculum vitae (résumé) listing all of your publications and your essay proposal (max. 2000 characters). The paper with your proposal will also have to feature:
- a provisional title;
- a description of the topic you would like to analyse;
- a list of sources used for the research;
- An e-mail address.
The deadline for submitting proposals (not the definitve essay!) is 31st December 2011. We kindly ask to send your papers preferably as attachments in PDF format. Proposals and CVs can also be submitted in English and German. Please send your files to:
The selection and notification process is planned to be completed by 30th March 2012.
Promoting institutions: research centre “A. Galmozzi” Crema, the Historical Institutes ISTRESCO Treviso, Istituto Storico Modena, IFSML Udine and ISTORECO Reggio Emilia, the Inter-university Centre for Military-historical Studies and Research and the National Association of Military Health Care – Department of Turin
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)