Exploring the wealth of coastal fisheries: Listening to community voices
21 -24 October 2011 Angra do Heroísmo & Ponta Delgada, (Azores islands, Portugal)
We hope to encourage discussion between researchers (local and from other countries) and fishing communities. Conference will use both English and Portuguese and interactive methods to help people communicate.
Calls for statements of interest are now open for this participatory conference.
- Governance and implementation
- Using local ecological knowledge and cultural appropriate governance
- EU Common Fisheries Policy
- Does the future lie in private property rights in the fisheries, impact of privatisation on European fishing culture and communities,lessons from other countries
Education and Research
- Schooling and public perceptions of fishing communities
- How can we proceed toward a more inclusive and open dialogue between researchers and fishers?
Community Development and changing coastal culture: How can creative use of coastal culture be a valuable resource for new and alternative economic opportunities in coastal settlements?
- Privatization – and balancing economic and social objectives
- Cultural values, development of tourism, compensation or alternatives
- Gender issues
For further information see website:
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)