Call for papers - Comparing Media Systems in the Iberian Peninsula
Special issue of the International Journal of Iberian Studies (Intellect).
Call for Papers Date:
The aim of this special issue is to stimulate the debate on cross-national media research between Spain and Portugal. The Iberian perspective on media studies is hardly developed. However, in the context of increasing comparative research, it seems a logical step forward. Among others, relevant questions include:
- Is there space for an Iberian dimension in Portuguese and Spanish media systems?
- What are the difficulties faced by researchers when comparing the Spanish and Portuguese media systems?
- Whatís the research agenda for an Iberian perspective on media systems and its relation to political, economic or cultural systems?
- What is the theoretical and empirical justification for Iberian research?
- How do researchers interpret similarities and differences found when studying both countries and media production, distribution and consumption?
- Do media texts reflect the Iberian perspective? How do they reflect it?
- How the different languages spoken in the Iberian Peninsula affect this Iberian dimension?
- Whatís the role of nations and regions within these systems and among them?
- Whatís the relationship and position of the Iberian media and communication space with other systems in the context of globalization?
To that end, possible topics include (but are not limited to): journalism practices and cultures, structure of national broadcasting systems, transborder texts, experiences and practices, audience analysis, international communication, political communication, communication and cultural policies, and media theory and sociology.
Cross-national studies will be privileged. Only articles written in English will be sent out for review. Articles should be between 6,000 and 8,000 words including notes and references. The submission guidelines can be downloaded from http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/MediaManager/File/IJIS%20Notes%20for%20Contributors.pdf.
The deadline for submissions is 20 September 2011. This special issue will be published in 2012.
For further information and submissions, please contact the guest editors at:
Departament de Comunicaciů Audiovisual i Publicitat I, Universitat AutÚnoma de Barcelona
Josť Luis GarcŪa
Instituto de CiÍncias Sociais, Universidade de Lisboa
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)