Pacific Arts Association Call for Papers for College Art Association 2012
Call for Papers Date:
Pacific Arts Association Call for Papers, College Art Association Annual Conference, Los Angeles, February 22-25, 2012
The Body Politic: The Role of Body Art and Anthropomorphic Depictions in Oceanic Societies
Please send submission materials (as outlined below) to panel chair (Dr. Anne E. Guernsey Allen, Indiana University, Southeast, email@example.com) on or before Monday May, 2, 2011:
Throughout the South Pacific, the human body as subject or medium has been used to convey political ideals and structure society. This panel takes as its starting point Shilling’s contention that the corporeal body is “a multidimensional medium for the constitution of society (a source of, a location for, and a means of positioning individuals within, society).” Papers from artists and art historians that address how the decorated body and anthropomorphic images shape, transcend, or are limited by the sociopolitical realm in Pacific cultures are invited. Topics may include the equivalency of images and the human body; artistic embodiment’s intersection with the self; “body art” as author, expression, or mediator of status, power, or gender; the adorned body and its depictions as reflections of values; traditional, colonial, and postcolonial Pacific views of embodiment.
Every proposal should include the following six items:
1. Completed session participation proposal form, located in the Call for Participation brochure at http://www.collegeart.org/proposals/2012callforparticipation
2. Preliminary abstract of one to two double-spaced, typed pages.
3. Letter explaining speaker’s interest, expertise in the topic, and PAA plus CAA membership status.
4. CV with home and office mailing addresses, email address, and phone and fax numbers. Include summer address and telephone number, if applicable.
5. Documentation of work when appropriate, especially for sessions in which artists might discuss their own work.
6. If mailing internationally, it is recommended that proposals be sent via certified mail.
Please see www.pacificarts.org or http://www.collegeart.org/proposals/2012callforparticipation for more details.
The Pacific Arts Association (PAA), founded in 1978, is an international organization devoted to the study of all the arts of Oceania. PAA provides a forum for dialogue and awareness about Pacific art and culture. By connecting individuals and institutions around the world, PAA encourages greater cooperation among those who are involved with the creation, study, and exhibition of Pacific art. PAA is an affiliate society of the College Art Association (CAA), a professional organization whose members are committed to excellence in the practice, teaching, and research of and about art, art history, and related disciplines.
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)