CALL FOR PAPERS
Florida Consortium for Women’s and Gender Studies Conference
Florida Atlantic University
Boca Raton, Florida
April 1-2, 2011
Gendered and Racialized Technologies of Change:
Moving Discredited Knowledge from the Margins to the Center
We understand “gendered and racialized technologies of change” to comprise the techniques and practices through which feminists and queer activists generate change in the organization of social, political, and economic relations. The purpose of this conference is to cross disciplinary boundaries and bring together feminist and queer discourses regarding these technologies.
We welcome individual papers, panels and roundtables or workshops as well as innovative presentational formats from scholars, activists, and graduate students addressing, but not limited to, the following issues:
• Activist Strategies
• Civil and Human Rights
• Sexual Bodies, Sexualized Bodies, and Body Politics
• The Military Industrial Complex
• Corporate Culture
• The Feminization of Poverty
• Migration and Globalization
• The Changing (and Same Old) Faces of Oppression
• Intersections of the Local and the Global
• Health and/or Women Healers
• New Media
• Popular Culture
• The Sacred and the Spiritual
• Visual and Performing Arts
• Science and Technology
Selected conference papers may be included in the Consortium anthology published by Cambridge Scholars Press. Past anthologies of conference papers include: Many Floridas: Women Envisioning Change (2007), Florida without Borders: Women at the Intersections of the Local and Global (2008), and Femininities and Masculinities in a Global Context (currently in press).
To apply, please submit a 250-500 words double-spaced abstract. Abstracts should include the presenter’s contact information and brief vita. Deadline for submissions is January 15th, 2011.
• Graduate Student abstracts should be sent via e-mail to Megan Halena at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• All other abstracts should be sent via e-mail to Josephine Beoku-Betts at email@example.com.
• Final decisions on submitted abstracts will be sent by February 28th, 2011
Updates on the conference will be posted on our website: http://www.fau.edu/WomensStudies/
Florida Atlantic University
Social Sciences, 208
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Phone: (561) 297-3865 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)