The conference seeks to bring together scholars researching all aspects of men from the United Kingdom who served in the military and British attitudes towards them, from the identities and experience of the men themselves to the relationship between soldiers, culture and society. We hope to re-integrate the history of soldiers and soldiering into this crucial period of Britain’s history.
Possible themes include:
• Social and cultural history of soldiers and units
• Military culture and the military in culture
• National and regional perspectives: England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales; coastal and inland; rural and urban; at ‘home’ and overseas
• Military masculinities; relationships, sexuality and family
• Comparisons between the different forms of service: regular army, militia, part-time soldiers; war time and peace time; ‘professionals’ and ‘amateurs’
• The personal experience of soldiers: motivation, identity, respectability and criminality
• Contemporary attitudes towards military service and soldiers
• Representations of soldiers
• The legal, social, and cultural framework of a soldier’s ‘lifecycle’: enlistment, training, service and duty, discharge, pensioners and former soldiers
We appreciate that in many cases presentations may be case studies that address multiple themes.
Please submit a 200 word abstract (maximum) for a 20 minutes paper to: http://redcoats.ning.com/page/conference-abstract-submission. The deadline for submissions is 7 February 2011.
The conference is supported by the Arts and Humanities Research Council and funds will be available to support the travel and accommodation costs of presenters.
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)