2011 Special Issue of the Essex Human Rights Review on Protecting Human Rights while Countering Terrorism
Call for Papers Deadline:
Essex Human Rights Review - Call for Papers
Special Issue 2011: Protecting Human Rights while Countering Terrorism a Decade After 9/11
The Special Issue will focus on the protection of human rights in the context of countering terrorism. The EHRR welcomes articles and book reviews examining the impact on human rights of national, regional and international approaches to combating terrorism in the post-9/11 world.
Papers might reflect on
• The political and historical factors, and legal/philosophical debates that inform or conflict with global and domestic counter-terrorism efforts.
• The achievements of current initiatives (such as the Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy), methods for evaluating their success, and new ideas to inform future practice.
• Analyses (single case or comparative) considering national counter-terrorism policy and legislative changes, including the establishment of national committees and task forces.
• Anti-terrorism endeavours undertaken by regional bodies (such as the European Union, Association of Southeast Asian Nations, the Organization of American States and the African Union).
• The proposal to amend the Rome Statute to give the International Criminal Court jurisdiction over crimes of terrorism.
• An evaluation of human rights training provided to professionals involved in counter-terrorism efforts.
• United Nations bodies, and their various mechanisms, with competence in the areas of human rights and terrorism.
• Accountability mechanisms that address human rights violations arising from misuse of power and authority while combating terrorism.
For Submission Guidelines and the EHRR Style Sheet, please refer to our website (http://www.ehrr.org). The deadline for submission is 1 February 2011.
Expected date of publication is in the autumn of 2011.
Send submissions to: editorSI@ehrr.org.
Executive Editor of Special Issues
Essex Human Rights Review
Human Rights Centre
University of Essex
Wivenhoe Park, Colchester C04 3SQ
Visit our website at http://www.ehrr.org Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)