CALL FOR PAPERS FOR THE COLLOQUIUM 'EARTH, VITAL ISSUE OF THE XXIst CENTURY/LA TERRE, QUESTION VITALE DU XXIe SIECLE ’:
organised by 'Sari' (Société d’Activités et de Recherches sur les mondes indiens) and CICC (secteur Commonwealth) at University Cergy Pontoise on 26/27 MAY, 2011.
« Heaven, hast thou secrets ? Man unveils me; I have none”. (The Earth)
(Shelley, Prometheus Unbound)
We will be looking at all aspects of this multi-dimensional signifier connected to India and Africa :
Earth as a metaphor: a mystic symbol, the womb of humanity
Earth as land – territory, homeland, to have and to hold and to guard at the risk of one’s life
Earth the element : the soil which nourishes us, to which we ultimately must return
Earth –Mankind’s victim or treasure – to be exploited ruthlessly or cherished lovingly?
We welcome papers that explore any of the many facets of this element from academics working in the fields of Cultural Studies, Literature, History, Sociology, Film, Music, Art, Linguistics, Politics and Psychology.
Papers may focus on any of the following areas:
• Perceptions of the Earth linked to time and space and to specific and cross cultural constructions in India/Africa – Eastern and Western perceptions
• Polarized issues of unity versus fragmentation, of local versus global in the geopolitics of communalists, Nationalists, and global dispensation
• Environmental issues
• Tribals and farmers against Nation States and Multinational Corporations
• The Brave New Earth – Megacities and Slums?
• Earth as a spiritual symbol (rites of sacrifice, its representation in the form of gods in the mythologies of Indian/African religions)
• the representation of Earth in Indian/African cultures and national identities
• Earth - symbol of peasant revolts/rebellions
• Representation of (the) Earth in music, films, art
Papers may be in English or French, but the publication will be only in French.
Abstracts must be submitted by 15.02.2011. Please send title, an abstract of 200 words and your email and snailmail addresses to both the coordinators: Madhu Benoit or to Joelle Weeks at the following addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
university of Grenoble 3
campus of st martin dheres
476243769 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)