Call for Papers
Sustainable Museums: Strategies for the 21st Century
We’re inviting submissions for a series of concise case studies to be included in our forthcoming book, Sustainable Museums: Strategies for the 21st Century, scheduled for publication in November.
Written by sustainability expert Rachel Madan – who as the Director of Greener Museums has worked with many US and UK organisations including Tate, the (UK Government’s) Department of Culture Media & Sport, National Museums Liverpool and the National Library of Scotland – Sustainable Museums will provide a system which enables museum professionals to start making changes that are both transformational and lasting. Its approach aims to help create museums which are resilient, confident and secure in their approach to sustainability.
We wish to include a range of international case studies in this publication and welcome submissions including, but not limited to, the following issues/themes, especially where these reflect new, innovative and successful practice:
• Leadership on sustainability from senior management, including the Director and Trustees.
• The ability of staff members to influence policy on sustainability.
• The activities of “green champions”.
• How sustainability is effectively managed within the organisation.
• How sustainability performance is assessed, and data collected and reported.
• How your museum’s sustainability strategy was developed.
• How your museum has set and achieved targets and milestones related to sustainability.
• How your museum has created policies and plans to support your efforts to improve sustainability.
• How your museum effectively communicates internally on sustainability.
• How your museum effectively communicates externally on sustainability.
• Other successful and innovative initiatives in the field of sustainablity.
Please initially submit an abstract (up to 300 words) and a biographical note (up to 150 words) by 12 September 2010. Invitations to submit a full case study will be notified by 17 September.
Final case studies should be between 500 – 750 words and may include images. The deadline date for submission will be 10 October 2010. Contributors will receive a complimentary copy of the book and a discount on additional copies.
Please send your abstract to both the publishers, MuseumsEtc, [firstname.lastname@example.org] and the author, Rachel Madan [email@example.com].
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)