CALL FOR MANUSCRIPTS: Collection Moves
A Focus Issue of the journal "Collections: A Journal for Museum and Archives Professionals" Guest Edited by Greg Lambousy, Director of Collections, Louisiana State Museum
When whole collections are moved from one storage or exhibit location to another there is an opportunity to improve storage or exhibit mounts, photographic documentation of the collection, database records, and many other aspects of collections care. The focus of this issue of "Collections" is to explore the inevitably complex nature of collections moves and to help further develop a methodology or set of core methodologies for collections moves.
Museum and archives professionals are encouraged to submit articles, opinion pieces, and essays that address the following issues:
• What are the prerequisites for any collections move?
• How best can collections inventories be incorporated into moves?
• What are recommended databases and how are they and individual records improved through collections moves?
• What are the latest recommended storage mount materials and basic mount configurations with a special emphasis on use in moves?
• What standards should one have in mind when selecting a transfer company? How much of the packing and loading of artifacts should be handled by the company versus conservation and curatorial staff?
• What are the most effective methods for scanning and photo documenting collections in large numbers?
Articles can also explore past collections moves prompted by enhancement of storage facilities or exhibit spaces and/or may address transfer of objects out of necessity where damage has occurred to a collection.
We invite articles on a broad range of strategies and practical approaches to collections moves and seek papers from curators, archivists, collections managers, preparators, registrars, educators, graduate students, and others that aim to better define a methodology or methodologies for maximizing the care and documentation of collections during small and large-scale moves.
Information on the journal may be found online: http://www.altamirapress.com/RLA/Journals/Collections/
For further information about submitting a paper to appear in this special issue of the journal, please contact Guest Editor Greg Lambousy, firstname.lastname@example.org and Juilee Decker, Editor of the journal, at email@example.com
Contact Email Information:
Greg Lambousy: firstname.lastname@example.org
Juilee Decker: email@example.com
Director of Collections
Louisiana State Museum
1000 Chartres Street
New Orleans, LA 70116
Dr. Juilee Decker
Associate Professor of Art History
Editor, Collections: A Journal for Museum and Archives Professionals
400 E. College*Georgetown, KY*40324
P: 502.863.8173 F: 502.868.8888
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)