12th International Academic Conference on Islamicjerusalem Studies, SOAS, University of London, 6 November 2010.
The theme for this year is "Orientalist Approaches to Islamicjerusalem". This one-day conference will be looking into the religious and political agendas of the Orientalist
approaches towards Islamicjerusalem and its Studies. It will bring into focus not only the importance of this topic in the study of classical Orientalists, but also, the way this has been taken forward by neo-orientalist and Israeli Academics.
We welcome papers stemming from classical Orientalist approaches to contemporary ones. Topics for discussion may include (but are not limited to):
- Theoretical Framework of Orientalist Approaches
- Relationship between Knowledge and Power
- The Developments and legacy of Islamicjerusalem terminology and studies
- The depiction of Islam and Muslims in Orientalist Art
- The Significance of Islamicjerusalem as understood by Orientalist and Israeli Academic (eg. Night Journey, Quranic & Hadith references, Umarís visit Ö)
- Case Studies of Orientalist works
- Case Studies of Israeli Academics
- Stereotypes and Oriental Myths
Abstracts of no more than 250 words, for 20 minutes presentations, should be submitted to conference organisers, the Academy for Islamicjerusalem Studies, by 23 July 2010.
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)