Call for Papers for the
I. Workshop on “Dimensions of Socialisms“
November 18-19, 2010
International Institute for Social History, Amsterdam
– Founding Meeting of the Network “History of Societies and Socialisms” –
Deadline for Proposals: June 1, 2010
Goals & Intentions
The meeting aims at bringing together and connecting newest research on the history of societies and socialisms and providing a forum for transnational and interdisciplinary exchange for young scholars. Perspectives, trends and new results, as well as approaches, methodologies and theories, can be discussed in an informal and work-in-progress atmosphere. It also serves as a starting point for further network planning, e.g. funding, institutionalization, website, and joint projects. It is intended to publish the papers delivered at the workshop in some, yet to be determined form.
- Paper proposals shall be submitted by June 1, 2010, be no longer than one page (500 words). We will sort the submitted proposals according to the panel themes listed below and send out a final program for the workshop.
- Papers have to be submitted by October 15, 2010 and send as pdf-file for circulation to email@example.com; we will distribute them as one document to all participants four weeks prior to the workshop.
- Members of the panels are invited to consider each other’s papers and ideas and
identify common ideas & approaches in such a way, that there will be no commentator necessary. Ideally, the papers of each panel will be linked to each other by overwriting themes and questions.
- The paper presentation at the workshop will be no longer than 15 minutes, with a brief summary of the paper as well as a special focus on common panel themes and questions as described above.
- Conference language: English
Please indicate on your proposal, into which panel (maximum choice of two) your paper might be placed!
Thursday, Nov. 18, 2010
12:00 Arrival and tour of IISG
13:00 Broodjes & Talk with Marcel van der Linden (IISG): “Why does research on socialisms (still) matter?”
14:00 -15:30: Panel
15:30- 16:00 Coffee break
19:00 Dinner & Talk with Helga Grebing (Berlin): “Socialism and Social Democracy as Political Program in Europe Today” (in German)
Friday, Nov. 19, 2010
11:00-11:30 Coffee break
16:00-17:00 Coffee, feedback & planning
Note on Funding
The organizers will provide food & drink only. Participants are asked to apply individually for travel and accommodation funding. The following institutions provide support with relatively simple procedures: DAAD (www.daad.de), DFG (www.dfg.de), European Union/European Commission (http://ec.europa.eu/euraxess), Humboldt Foundation (http://www.humboldt-foundation.de/web/start.html), Gerda Henkel Stiftung (www.gerda-henkel-stiftung.de). Experience shows that often it is quite easy to receive financial aid for the purpose of academic research, networking, and exchange (target group: “young scholars-researchers”).
With the final program we will also send you information on accommodation possibilities nearby the IISG.
Christina Morina, PhD
Lehrstuhl für Neuere und Neueste Geschichte
Telefon (+49) 03641 944 447
Telefax (+49) 03641 944 452
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)