Latino Focus Group
Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) Conference
August 3–6, 2010, Hyatt Century Plaza Hotel, Los Angeles, California
Submission Deadlines: October 15st (Individual papers only; send to Courtney Mohler at email@example.com)
Incorporating ATHE’s 2010 Conference Theme “Theatre Alive: Theatre, Media, and Survival” the Latino Focus Group seeks papers that theorize about the staging of the survival, struggle, and endurance of Latinas/os and Latina/o culture in relationship with various other ethnic, racial, cultural, and national groups.
Some of the themes and questions these papers may examine are:
• Community-making between Latinas/os and other “Others”
• Representations of Latina/o identity in relationship with other culturally, racially, or linguistically marked “others”
• Dramatization of perceived differences and similarities between Latinas/os and other ethnic communities in terms of contemporary and historical experience
• Dramatization of perceived differences and similarities between various communities of Latinas/os in terms of contemporary and historical experience
These papers may also consider some of these broader reaching questions:
• How can multicultural or “color-blind” casting practices inflect meaning on productions?
• How does a production or play examine our increasingly hybridized nation/culture?
• How is community created on stage across ethnic, racial, cultural, and geographic divides?
Individual paper proposals for consideration for placement on a panel sponsored by the Latina/o Focus Group require a 250-word abstract (along with contact information and AV needs) e-mailed to the Panel Coordinator: Courtney Mohler at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 15, 2009. Placement on a panel sponsored by the Latino Focus Group does not guarantee acceptance by the conference.
Courtney Elkin Mohler
California State University, Dominguez Hills
Dept. of Theater
1000 E. Victoria St
Carson, CA 90747
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)