ASSOCIAZIONE ITALIANA DI STUDI NORD-AMERICANI
ITALIAN ASSOCIATION OF NORTH-AMERICAN STUDIES
Importing, Translating, Misrepresenting, Mythicizing, Communicating America
XX BIENNIAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
TORINO, SEPTEMBER 24-26, 2009
CALL FOR PAPERS
(DEADLINE: APRIL 30, 2009)
The 20th Biennial International Conference of the Italian Association of North American Studies will be held at the University of Torino on September 24-26, 2009.
Translating America, the title chosen for the Conference, while of course including literary translation and all forms of artistic translation, will concentrate on the complex entity commonly known as “America,” and how this concept has been perceived, assimilated, translated, and even transformed, in different historical moments.
We welcome submissions of paper proposals in any of the following areas:
• the observation, study, interpretation and teaching of aspects of American culture and American history from the perspective of other cultures, Italian and European in particular;
• issues concerning the translation of American texts into Italian, including the technical aspects of translation;
• the distortions of the “American Myth,” and the often biased and vulgarized use of it;
• the “translation” of the phenomena and processes of post-industrial society from the United States to Italy and Europe;
• the Italian and European importation and adaptation of the languages, formats and models of US cinema.
If you are interested in presenting a paper, please write to
the AISNA Secretary, Valerio Massimo De Angelis (email@example.com) in order to have the complete workshop list.
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)