Hi, is anyone writing on Octavia Butler who would like to be on a panel at National Women's Studies Association Conference? We Need 2-5 more presenters and a non-presenting moderator. Please see nwsa.org. Conference is in Atlanta, GA November 12-15, 2009 Atlanta, GA. Angela Davis will be there! I am a grad student who wants to present at the conference. Please contact me at Ayana.Harris@gmail.com by Feb 10 with a 250 word proposal that will fit into the category below. Please include: your name, school affiliation, address, phone and fax #s with your and abstract a 50 to 100 word (mini abstract) along with the longer 250 word abstract.
Many Thanks! Ayana Harris
· How can we intervene in dominant/hegemonic stories and histories? What approaches aid in excavating and articulating subjugated perspectives?
· Whose collective trauma or suffering is considered exemplary, and whose is marginalized or silenced? Whose legacies of resistance are remembered? Whose are not?
· What are the meanings of silences, gaps and absences? Can everything be told or articulated? What politics lie within the unspeakable? How do we account for stories or histories that cannot be told?
· How have art, music, literature, and other creative projects offered an important archive of memory and site of resistance? How have marginalized groups plumbed history’s silences in the creative realm?
· How do we best uncover, document, and think about the lives of radical women, past and present? How have radical women sought to intervene in the politics of memory, whether through political action, the creative arts, or in scholarship?”
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)