Submissions are invited for individual papers or panels on writers of any genre from Northern New England (New Hampshire, Maine, and Vermont) or writings about Northern New England.
This conference seeks to explore the very rich literary tradition of the Northern half of New England.
Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- International Intersections of the US/Canadian border
- Travel or Environmental Literature/Writers
- Writing of/by Northern New England writers of any historical period
- Focus on specific authors, such as Stephen King, Howard Frank Mosher, Robert Frost, Sarah Orne Jewett, etc.
- Focus on lesser known writers of the region, from any period
- Current-day fiction set in Northern New England
- Poetry of Northern New England
- Papers exploring history, criticism, or theory
- Creative works set in or about Northern New England
- Creative works by writers who are natives or current residents of VT, NH, or ME
The keynote speaker for this conference will be Kent Ryden, Associate Professor and Director of American and New England Studies at the University of Southern Maine. Professor Ryden’s publications include Mapping the Invisible Landscape: Folklore, Writing, and The Sense of Place and Landscape with Figures: Nature and Culture in New England.
This conference will take place Friday and Saturday, April 17-18, 2009 at Norwich University in Northfield, VT.
All panelists must be registered participants of the conference.
Submissions should be a 250-300 word abstract of anticipated paper or 500 word abstract of anticipated panel.
Please include complete contact information (name, home address, email, phone, affiliation if any).
Deadline for submission of abstracts is Sunday, February 15, 2009. All email submissions will receive a confirmation of receipt.
Submissions are preferred in email format to NUNNEL@norwich.edu
Hard copies will be accepted to:
Kathleen McDonald, Ph.D.
English Studies Conference
Department of English
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield, VT 05663
For more information, contact Kathleen McDonald at email@example.com (802-485-2416) or Brett Cox at firstname.lastname@example.org (802-485-2436).
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)