(November 2008): Health, Physicians and Nurses in Latin America
We are happy to announce a new issue of "Irish Migration Studies in Latin America" (http://www.irlandeses.org/imsla0811.htm), the open-access journal of the Society for Irish Latin American Studies. This issue is dedicated to Health, Physicians and Nurses in Latin America. The following contents are available at: http://www.irlandeses.org/imsla0811.htm
Volume 6, Number 3 (November 2008)
Guest Editor: Susan Wilkinson
Editors: Edmundo Murray, Claire Healy
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Susan Wilkinson, "Health, Physicians and Nurses in Latin America: An Introduction"
- Susan Wilkinson, "Early Medical Education in Ireland"
- Matthew Brown, "Irish Doctors in the Colombian Wars of Independence"
- Alejandra Baldrich and Mario Marini, "The Other Front of the Hispanic-American Independence: The Battle for Health and Hygiene"
- Fabián G. Bustamante Olguín, "Irish Immigrants and their Arrival in Chile: The Case of Dr William Blest Maybern"
- Edmundo Murray, "Jack of All Trades (and Master of All): Dr. Hutchinson's Practice in Africa and Latin America, 1851-1874"
- Edward Walsh, "Dr Leeson of Dublin, Buenos Aires and Montevideo"
- Viviane Carvalho da Annunciação, "Richard Gumbleton Daunt: The Man, the Physician and the City of Campinas (1843-1893)"
- Susan Wilkinson, "Arthur Pageitt Greene (1848-1933): A rural doctor in Argentina"
- Carolina Barry, "Cecilia Grierson: Argentina’s First Female Doctor"
- Carolina Barry, "Arnoldo Geoghegan: a Man of Action"
- Arthur Jackson, "The Gorgas Course in Tropical Medicine: An Account" - Isabelle Smyth, "Missionaries of Mary in Latin America"
- J. B. Lyons, "A Dublin Observer of the Lisbon Yellow Fever Epidemic"
- Marion G. Mulhall, "Plague at Buenos Aires"
- Susan Wilkinson, "Sebastian’s Pride: A fictional account on the yellow fever epidemic in Buenos Aires, 1871"
- Deborah M. Nilles, "Review of Merrie Ann Nall's 'Women of Hope: The Story of the Little Company of Mary Sisters in America'"
- Volume 6: Contents and Index of Contributors
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)