The Graduate Theory Association of Indiana University’s Jacobs School of Music will be sponsoring a special symposium focusing on issues of performance and analysis to be held on Friday and Saturday, February 20-21, 2009. Our invited speakers will be Susan McClary of the University of California Los Angeles, Carl Schachter of Mannes College, and Daphne Leong of the University of Colorado.
Other planned activities include a panel discussion with IU faculty and a concert of works discussed in the symposium.
We are currently soliciting proposals related to any topic involving analysis and performance. Topics of special interest:
• The ways that analysis informs performance, and vice versa.
• Experimental or empirical studies of performance.
• Studies of performance as a cultural artifact.
• Investigations of performance as analysis.
Lecture performances, special panels, and non-traditional formats of presentation are also encouraged. Regular paper presentations will be 20 minutes in length, followed by 10 minutes of discussion.
Submissions should include:
(1) 6 copies of a 300-500 word proposal OR a single copy submitted by e-mail in Word or PDF format (e-mail submission is preferred)
(2) A cover letter listing the author's name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and affiliation, as well as all required equipment, such as piano, overhead projector, CD player, etc.
(3) An abstract of no more than 250 words, suitable for publication in the conference program.
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)