Call for Papers: Rhetorics of New Media
2009 Southwest/Texas Popular Culture/American Culture Association
30th Annual Conference in Albuquerque, New Mexico
February 25-28, 2009 at the Hyatt Regency downtown
Proposals are now being accepted for the Rhetorics of New Media Area. The term “New Media” generally refers to digital, computerized, or networked information and communication technologies in the latter part of the 20th century to the present.
● Following the 30th Anniversary Theme within New Media (How is new media used in film to build identities?)
● Youth Culture (How do cell phones change the way young people use language to act, talk, and/or influence others?)
● The Information Age (How does Wikipedia or YouTube help or hinder the creation of knowledge?)
● Identity (How do users of MySpace or Facebook use language/images to construct an online identity?)
● Internet Slang (How do emoticons change the way people use language?)
● Globalism (How are social relationships stabilized or transformed by internet communications?)
● Media Convergence (How are people’s perceptions and discourse strategies shaped by converging media?)
● Gaming (What systems of knowledge or ways of knowing are relevant to new gaming experiences?)
Inquiries regarding this area and/or abstracts may be sent to Anna Gurley at the email or physical address below. Graduate students/future teachers are particularly welcome to participate or register to attend the conference. Please pass along this call to friends and colleagues.
•Priority Submission and Registration: Dec. 1, 2008.
•Final Submission Deadline: Dec. 15, 2008.
•Conference Registration: Dec. 31, 2008 (all participants must be registered by this date!).
Send materials with your email address to:
Anna Gurley (Attn: Shannel Adams)
Northeastern State University
600 N Grand Ave
Tahlequah, OK 74464
Phone: 918.456.5511 x3622
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)