As part of the year-long research group entitled “E Pluribus Unum?: Ethnic Identities in Transnational Integration Processes in the Americas,” this conference aims to analyze the multivalent roles of media in the construction of ethnic identities in the Americas. We will explore how cultural production, as it moves across borders, continually reshapes ethnicity in the public imaginary. Moreover we will address the complexities surrounding ethnic self-representations and regimes of representation in the context of mass media. For this interdisciplinary conference, we invite scholars, film and video makers and producers, representatives of festival circuits and government institutions, as well as cultural policy makers and television producers to examine formations of ethnic identities in the media.
The following topics are especially welcome:
• Appropriation of modes of production and self-representation
• Uses of media as strategies of cultural resistance
• Conflicting ethnicities: Media as a resource of identity politics
• Signifying practices: Aesthetics and performativity in the field of identity politics
• Impact of cultural politics and financing on the construction of ethnic identity and self-representation
• The role of cultural festivals in the construction and dissemination of ethnic identities
• Cultural industries and discourses on ethnic identities
Conference languages are English and Spanish.
Travel and accommodation costs may be covered depending on the success of a funding application - we will inform participants about this closer to the date of the conference.
JProf. Dr. Sebastian Thies and Dr. Libia Villazana
Please send abstracts (between 150 and 250 words) in English or Spanish for 20-minute papers by December 31, 2009 to: Trixi.Valentin@uni-bielefeld.de
Your abstracts should include:
A. Your name, contact details and institutional affiliation;
B. Title and topic of presentation;
C. Three to five key words, which will help the reviewers classify your proposal;
D. Technical requirements for presentation.
Notification of acceptance will be sent out in January 2009.
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)