This conference, focusing on the English-speaking world, will explore the relationships between women and spirituality. We will explore spirituality as a broad concept, of which religions are a crucial, visible part but which can also take a variety of pagan or secular forms.
Studies offering a comparative analysis with France will be gladly considered, as will any papers exploring such themes as:
- The position of religious institutions and religious authorities towards women
- Female spirituality and the construction of a religious orthodoxy
- Accounts of female spirituality (autobiographies, diaries, hagiographies, eulogies …)
- Feminist perspectives, re-membering the history of women’s spirituality
- The historiography of female spirituality
- Female bodies and female spiritualities
Women and spirituality in fiction and the visual arts
Proposals (approx. 400 words) to be sent to Dr Laurence Lux-Sterritt (email@example.com) and Dr Claire Sorin (firstname.lastname@example.org) before 15 November 2008. Languages spoken at the conference will be English and French; papers will not exceed 25 minutes each.
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)