"Technologies of Globalization"
International Conference: 30-31 October, 2008
Darmstadt University of Technology (Germany)
Presently (re-)shaping social life as well as economics and science, globalization is in manifold ways related to and in fact highly dependent on technology.
The first international conference of the post-graduate school “Topologies of Technology” seeks to explore in greater detail and from a deliberately interdisciplinary angle the role(s) and function(s) of world-embracing information and communication technologies, transport, and computing facilities in the global age.
In plenary discussions and a variety of interdisciplinary streams, the conference
- inspects the novel ways in which global(ized) technologies enable mobility (and require new modes of managing these)
- attempts to clarify how newly developed technologies contribute to and assist the currently observable developments in the particular field of engineering and, more generally, in labor distribution and organization
- traces their influence on the re-definition of “the local” against the backdrop of “the global
- gives space to historical considerations aiming at the disclosure of precursors of technology-enhanced globalizing tendencies
- discusses the world-wide efforts of controlling and improving body movement(s) for the target group of old-age people, in sport science / kinesiology and perceptual computing
- Thomas Sattelberger (Chief Human Resources Officer, Deutsche Telekom AG)
- Johann Dietrich Wörner (CEO of German Aerospace Center DLR)
- Reinhard Blomert (Chief Editor ‚Leviathan’)
- Jyoti Hosagrahar (Columbia University)
- Ruper Deger (Parametric Technology Corporation)
- Managing Mobility
- Informatized Work: Towards a New Division of Labor?
- Glocalization in the Production of Built Environment
- Globalization Revisited: World-Embracing Technologies in a Historical Perspective
- Aging as a Global Issue – A Challenge for Technology and Society
Maritim Rhein Main Hotel Darmstadt, Am Kavalleriesand 6, D-64295 Darmstadt
phone: + 49 6151 16-2006
Registration: 15 October, 2008
Early Bird registration: 31 August, 2008
This event as well as the post-graduate school "Topology of Technology" is primarily financed by the German Research Council (DFG).
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)