Call for Papers: “Quests and Conquests: Visual and Performance Arts and the Pursuit of Identity in the Modern Middle East”. The “First Annual Conference on the Middle East at California State University, Fresno: “Teaching about the Middle East in the 21st Century.” 16-18 October 2008.”
This conference explores the constructions and contextualizations of the modern Middle East through artistic, scholarly, economic, political, sociological, historical, and philological works and texts. The conference subsequently examines the politics that underlie their production and dissemination in academia.
The proposed panel(s) will explore the culture of the modern Middle East through some of its most vibrant markers: visual, performance and performative arts. We will call attention to the events, texts, works, performances and images that have shaped, on the one hand, representations of the Middle East in modern and historical art, music, theater and architecture; on the other, the appropriations and adaptations of such rich archive in the construction of a distinct and uniquely identifiable "Middle East" in the modern mind. Topics can address the fields of art, architecture, music, theater/film, media and dance- through themes that include (but should not be limited to):
1. Art and architecture as a means/expressions of power (legitimation, segregation, assimilation, sovereignty, restitution and identity) and/or resistance to it.
2. East-West encounters: Clash and/or dialogue in colonial and post-colonial art and architecture in the Middle East
3. Iconography and Iconoclasm in Middle Eastern art and architecture.
4. The burdens of history; a history of burdens: The dialectic of modernization and preservation in the modern Middle East.
5. How do visual and performance arts express minor and gendered, subjectivities in the Middle East?
6. Art and the Public Sphere.
Please submit proposals of 300-400 words as an e-mail attachment (doc or PDF files are ideal) to Dr. A. Sameh El kharbawy (firstname.lastname@example.org) by June 27, 2008.
With your abstract please include:
Name and Affiliation
Dr. A. Sameh El Kharbawy
Dept of Art and Design
College of Arts and Humanities
California State University
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)