International Call for Submissions: Papers and Visual Digital Presentations
“Building Latin American Bicentennials in the Age of Globalization”
5 Awards: Travel and participation in an international conference to be held February 26-27, 2009 at the New School University in New York, NY; Inclusion in the book Construir Bicentenarios Latinoamericanos.
7 Honorable Mentions: Publication in the book Construir Bicentenarios Latinoamericanos.
Organized by: Observatory on Latin America (OLA) New School University, New York and Programa Bicentenarios Facultad de Arquitectura, Diseño y Urbanismo, Universidad de Buenos Aires (FADU-UBA). In collaboration with Centro de Estudios del Patrimonio (CEPAT) of Facultad de Arquitectura, Urbanismo y Paisaje, Universidad Central de Chile.
Guidelines for submissions
OLA and FADU-UBA, in collaboration with CEPAT, seek to bring together knowledge and information about activities and thinking about how governments and civil society constructed their centennial commemorations and how they are now constructing their bicentennials. Submissions should focus on:
1. Documentation and interpretation of the different modes by which Latin American countries constructed their national centennial commemorations and how they left their mark on their respective cities and visual imagination. This can include the study of media, policies, projects, public works, social mobilization, official and civil society commemorations, cultural production, visual images and photography production and dissemination, and forms of urban transformation.
2. Documentation and interpretation of present preparations of the Bicentennials in these countries. This can include evidence in the above areas and other more contemporary activities related to new technologies such as videos, films, interactive projects, or internet applications.
3. Comparison of these themes between past and present and across American countries.
About the Submissions
Submissions could consist of two kinds:
1. academic papers that could include visual images; or
2. visual and multimedia digital presentations such as videos, power points or other digital media. All submissions should be in English, Spanish, or Portuguese.
Abstracts of up to 300 words should be sent, together with the application form, to email@example.com, cc. firstname.lastname@example.org by June 17th, 2008. Responses will be sent by email to authors of all submissions by June 30th, 2008.
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)