The Sixteenth Century Society invites submissions to panels under its sponsorship at the annual meeting of the Renaissance Society of America in Los Angeles, 19-21 March 2009. Submissions are due 16 May 2008.
Submissions may be either
(1) individual papers submitted on the following themes:
a. Henry VIII Revisited. A panel for the five-hundredth anniversary of Henry’s ascent to the English throne (crowned 24 June 1509). Interdisciplinary examinations of his person, politics, and court are especially welcome.
b. In Praise of Folly. A panel for the five-hundredth anniversary of Erasmus’ famous satire (composed in 1509, printed in 1511). Contextual and intertextual analyses are especially welcome.
(2) complete panels on any appropriate theme. Full panels should in general consist of three papers and designate a chair. Full panels may also include a commentator. Total presentation time for a panel (including papers and commentator, but not including Q&A) should not exceed 60 minutes.
Individual papers are to be no more than 20-minutes in length, i.e., roughly ten typewritten pages. Papers should be original in content and not have been previously delivered.
Submissions are to be emailed to at email@example.com . They are due Friday, 16 May 2008. Decisions will be made within two weeks. Submissions should include
• a two-hundred word abstract of the paper. Full panel submissions should also include an abstract of the panel as a whole.
• a brief c.v. for each participant.
• Full panel submissions should be submitted as a single email.
By submitting a paper, the applicant promises that if his/her paper is accepted, s/he will deliver the paper at the conference in person. Membership in the RSA is required for attendance at the conference. All arrangements to attend the conference are the responsibility of the individual panelists.
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)