Conference theme : Second Language Acquisition research in context
The conference will address issues related to Second Language Acquisition in context, understood both in terms of contextual effects on (the) acquisition (process) and in terms of practical issues such as language testing and curriculum design.
Papers are invited on every aspect of empirical and theoretical Second Language Acquisition research. However, priority will be given to papers that address issues related to the theme of the conference.
Individual papers will be allotted 20 minutes of presentation plus 10 minutes for discussion. Submissions should adhere to the requirements specified below in sections A and B.
A. Abstract : electronic format.
1. The abstract (including examples) must comprise a minimum of 400 words and a maximum of 500 words. Please note the word count at the bottom of the abstract.
2. The abstract should be sent as an attachment in WORD or RTF format. The file should bear the following name : surname_firstname.rtf. The abstract should be in a full (see 3. below) and an anonymous version.
3. The full version of the abstract for email submission should follow the format below :
i. Title of the abstract / paper
ii. Name of the author(s) (last name/ surname, first name)
iii. Affiliation of the author(s)
iv. Email address
v. Postal address.
4. The e-mail message carrying the attached abstract (full and anonymous version) should bear in its header either « Paper » or « Doctoral workshop ».
B. Organization of the abstract
1. Choose a title that clearly indicates the topic of the paper and is no more than one line long.
2. In the abstract, state the topic clearly.
3. When essential to the clarity of the argumentation, present linguistic data (with glosses). Explain abbreviations at their first occurrence.
4. If the paper presents the results of experiments, but collection of data is not yet complete, present the provisional results in detail. State the relevance of the hypothesis to past work and indicate the nature of the experimental design.
Abstracts will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria :
1. The relevance and significance of the proposed topic to the field of Second Language Acquisition and /or the originality of the study
2. The relevance to the theme of the conference
3. The argumentation (including knowledge of the relevant research literature and theory, clarity of the argument and the results/ conclusions).
The Doctoral workshop focuses on problems of methodology with regard to either data analysis (interpretation of natural conversation, statistical data, interviews, etc.) or research design (experimental design, corpus design, issues of data collection, etc.). Each presentation will last 20 minutes and will be followed by a 10 minute reaction by a senior researcher and 10 minutes of discussion.
Submissions should follow the same formal conventions as individual papers (see above A and B). Please mention « Doctoral workshop » in the full version of the abstract. State briefly the aim and the theoretical framework of your work and then raise the methodological problems you submit for discussion. If your presentation is accepted, you will be asked to send a more extensive summary to the discussant of your paper.
EUROSLA18 will be a bilingual conference (English and French); presentations in one of these languages are particularly encouraged, though any European language is accepted.
All submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. All submissions will be reviewed anonymously by the scientific committee.
Deadline for submissions : 29 February 2008
Notification of acceptance : 22 April 2008
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)