International Conference, University of Manchester, 5-6 September 2008
We invite single-paper and full-panel proposals for the conference ‘Representing Islam: Comparative Perspectives’ organised jointly by the Universities of Manchester and Surrey and supported by the Arts and Humanities Research Council of Britain.
We anticipate proposals on topics emanating from the fields of Political Communication, Communication Science, Media Studies, Film Studies, Cultural Studies, Sociology, Social Psychology, Translation Studies, Sociolinguistics, and Modern Languages.
Confirmed plenary speakers:
• Thomas Deltombe (France, journalist)
• Alisher Khamidov (Kyrgyzstan, journalist)
• Kenan Malik (England, writer and broadcaster)
• Prof Tariq Modood (England, Bristol University)
• Prof Greg Philo (Scotland, Glasgow University Media Unit)
• Dr. Elizabeth Poole (England, Staffordshire University)
• Prof Tariq Ramadan (England, France, academic and theologian)
An edited volume based on selected conference papers will be published.
Please send panel and paper proposals (title + 250 word abstract) by January 31, 2008 to these two e-mail addresses: Oxana.Poberejnaia@manchester.ac.uk and Shishir.Shahnawaz@postgrad.manchester.ac.uk
You can expect to hear of the organising committee’s decision on accepting your abstract by March 15.
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)