Southwest/Texas Popular & American Culture Associations 29th Annual Conference
February 13-16, 2008
The 2008 WS/TX PCA/ACA Conference will be held in Albuquerque, New Mexico at the Hyatt Regency downtown. Please join us this year as we inaugurate our new cross-genre area on American Indian/Indigenous Film.
We are looking for panels, papers, and workshops on topics related to American Indian, First Nations, and Indigenous film. Proposals from all disciplines that examine, utilize, promote, or teach Native/Indigenous film and media are welcome.
Some topics might include:
· Native women filmmakers
· American Indian/Indigenous Film and/or filmmakers
· New Voices in Native/Indigenous film and media
· Needs, Access, and Issues in Native/Indigenous film
· The outcomes/consequences of using Native films across cultural boundaries and in comparison to other cultural approaches.
· Teaching American Indian or Indigenous films as part of a non-American Indian Studies course, such as Humanities, American Studies, or English.
· Disciplinary and cultural politics as they influence how we read Native film
· American Indians in Hollywood film
· Approaches to teaching American Indian film
· Indian and the Western (this could also apply to how Indigenous people globally are positioned as “Indians” in national “Western” genres)
· Effects/impacts of Native representations in film/media on Native and non-Native culture
· Showcasing new work (if you would like to facilitate a panel that screens new work, please do so)
If you have specific ideas for topics, workshops, or panels that are not listed here, please submit those as well.
Filmmakers, scholars, teachers, students, professionals, and others are encouraged to participate. Graduate students may wish to submit papers for fellowships and awards. This information will be available on the official Conference web site June 1, 2007.
Further information regarding the conference (listing of all areas, hotel, registration, tours, etc) can be found at http://www.h-net.org/~swpca/index.html. Register early for a discount rate and to reserve space at the conference hotel—rooms fill quickly.
Date and Place: February 13-16, 2008
Hyatt Regency Albuquerque
Albuquerque, NM 87102
Please pass along this call to friends and colleagues.
Send 100-200 word abstracts and proposals for panels by November 1, 2007:
M. Elise Marubbio,
Assistant Professor & Director Augsburg Native American Film Series
2211 Riverside Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55454
M. Elise Marubbio
CB 115 2211 Riverside Avenue
Minneapolis MN 55454
(612) 330-1523 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)